Thursday, February 10, 2011

BOHEMIAN / HIPPIE Room Tips/Ideas/Inspiration!

Hi guys! I'm redoing my room and I want to make little bit boho-inspired so I've been doing a lot of research and thought I could make a blog about it! 

To me, I think some of the key factors to have in a vintage/boho/hippie-inspired room is a little mis match of the things inside but to still keep that 60's/70's look without getting to crazy! Somehow, you have to make all the mismatch patterns and material all work together.

What really triggered my urge to make a boho room was a picture in an Urban Outfitters catalog. Just to let you guys know, Urban Outfitters has beautiful bedding and furniture for your room. Anthropoligie does too but I feel like it is a little overpriced. I can't find a picture of it but it was just so, perfect. I'm getting the sheets I saw which look like this: 
And it had pillows like this:





But I was thinking of adding some other pillows, maybe round embroidered pillows to add some contrast. Like this perhaps?:

So now enough with my room. :) Let's go on with some tips!

First off, if you want to spice it up or make your room have that "gypsy vibe", some things I feel like you should keep in mind is to keep earthy-like tones. Green, red, mustard yellow, brown, etc. Maybe it's because purple is my favorite color, but it looks great too! My room is a brightish pink which I regret painting (I was nine give me a break) so I chose sheets that will have some contrast with the walls but I don't recommend getting neon-like colors. It just makes things harder than it is. Personally, I would say keep lighter colors because if you are getting wildish bedsheets like I am you don't want it to look too crazy but still busy because that's the point! Also, don't get random colors for pillows and bedding. Get things that will have a great contrast with each other while still looking fresh. As for patterns, be creative and get what you love! I love polka dots and floral patterns so that's what I centered my room around but get patterned sheets, not just solid colors. &
One of the hardest parts about my room is the curtains. I'm just getting a simple dark-colored curtain, nothing too fancy.
And as for furniture, get something you love also! I  can't really tell you what to get because boho rooms are all about what YOU like but I think antique or weird-like furniture is great.

Remember, have fun with the furniture and decor! It's whatever quirky style you like that makes it boho and unique!

Some great stores to check out for furniture (although it's little high priced) is Urban Outfitters Anthropologie. I feel like they have a great selection. If you want cheaper prices, I would just say check out Etsy, Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist, or your local flea markets. 

Now for some inspiration! :) 








So, well, the reason I made this blog was because when I was trying to find ideas and inspiration, it was SO HARD. I tried google, other blogs, but it was the same. I hope I could change it up a bit and that was the point of this blog. If it wasn't for that picture in that Urban Outfitters catalog, I wouldn't be posting this.  I hope you got what you were looking for and the overall key factor to designing a gypsy/hippie/boho room is YOU. Add what YOU like. When I finish my room, I'll post a pic just for ya'll. :)

BY THE WAY, ALL OF THESE IMAGES I FOUND ON GOOGLE. I OWN NONE OF THESE IMAGES. :)



6 comments:

  1. did you ever find any boho comforters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this is a very late reply but I did end up finding some! I found it at a local bohemian store, but if you look around anywhere I bet you can find some! Just as long as it has a nice print to it.

      Delete
  2. Nice photos of the room, I'm actually liking the thought of getting my space changed to a more boho/hippie vibe...already got the same blue and pinkish wall same as one of the photos you have posted but i need to spice it up more. Cool post. ;)

    xx Aurora

    rottennuke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. what if I kind of want a trippy room, like black lights, and I want a boho type room too so I can add earthy tones, but I want it to keep it, like you said, from looking too busy? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I am replying this late but I think it can still work! I would try working with the same color palette, like say, purple and using different shades, but focusing on purple and colors that complement it. The main thing that makes things look busy is having too much of everything and you want to narrow it down. Hopefully this helps and if you need more specific insight just let me know :)

      Delete